Some realizations are just more painful then others. This is one of those, I was joking at SGP that my son is going to grow up and tell people, “Yeah all my family did growing up was protest the government. It was like we were hippies but with morals.” After that little realization hit me I sat down and wrote this piece. I hope it makes those wacky, Leftists who are calling us racists and threats to national security remember what it was like when it was their side being called that. And I hope it makes them stop, take a pause and for once in their life, actually do the right thing! Enjoy the reading! ~Dena
As you think back on the sixties (at least from what I have been told and read, I wasn’t there. LOL) and what described the “hippie” movement we are doing the same thing today but with a greater purpose-to restore God and country. But let’s look at some things we have in common with the hippies of yesterday.
1) Pretty much started the homeschooling movement. Didn’t want their kids learning all that imperialistic garbage. You know things like how to bathe or the importance of having a job. And who homeschools today? Conservative Christians who don’t want their kids learning all that environmental garbage. You know things like light bulbs make the sun hotter or killing babies is good for Mother Earth.
2) Held protests about the government. Back then it was to get out us of Viet Nam, make slaughtering the unborn legal and free STDs for everybody! Now with the Tea Party movement we have protests about the government, but this time it is to get us out of debt. To stem illegal immigration which is taking jobs from Americans and to uphold the law of the land, not to bend it, not to abolish it but to live by the Constitution and the principles it espouses.
3) Had their own music. From Jimi Hendrix to Bob Dylan, the music reflected what was going on with their anti-government scene. Nowadays it is country music that most reflects the conservative values in this country. Not every conservative listens to country music, but by and large the biggest fans of country music are conservatives. From Toby Keith to Trace Adkins, we revere the people who also revere our land.
4) Were counter-culture. The hippies were the counter-culture movement of their time. Working to bring about some of the most detrimental changes to our society. Espousing radical feminism which vilified husbands and children. Promoting dangerous alternative sexual identities and practices and becoming awash in hedonism. Now who is counter-culture? We are! As we work to bring God back to America, to allow women the opportunity to have children and stay home with them without feeling like a failure. We are working for the betterment of society by embracing traditional mores that lead us to greatness in the first place. We are working to eliminate abortion but helping those with crisis pregnancies, solidifying marriage as between one man and one woman and not this anything goes mentality, making sure children have decent schools instead of the failing public schools we have today. These are the counter-culture’s objectives today.
5) Despised mainstream society and media so they built their own. Whether it was a pamphlet or a record company, the hippies of yesterday built their own media since they couldn’t depend on mainstream media to tell their side. Yet those hippie entrepreneurs of yesterday are now media moguls of today and today it is our side that cannot be told. It is the conservative movement that really has grabbed a hold of blogging online, Twitter and social networks like A Black Conservative Digest and others to get their stories out. The internet is fast catching up with the more traditional forms of communication (tv, radio, newspapers, etc) as where people turn to get their information. In 1994 only 2 percent of people got their news from the internet and by 2004 that figure had risen to 29 percent. Other forms of communication have dropped. In fact, television went from 72 percent to 60 percent during that same time (Trends, 2005, Washington DC: Pew Research Center, 2004, pp 42, 44-45) Conservatives absolutely despise how liberalism has become mainstream and doing what they can to stem the tide and bring society back into alignment with what is right and not just what “feels” right.
So there you have it! We are the new hippies. Maybe we need to come up with a new word. Instead of hippies we could be the chippies! Nah, let’s just stick with the Right, because after all, we are! But isn’t if funny the same things they fought for (homeschooling, the rights of parents to raise their children without government interference, to hold the government more accountable to the people, etc.) are now the same things we are fighting for and they are against. We’re the nutjobs now! But remember just a generation ago, you were fighting for the same thing-what happened? Oh I know you must’ve forgotten from all that LSD and pot you did. Never mind.